Summer may be coming to an end but the hot weather in California is reaching new heights. Record breaking temperatures across America have led many of us to pool-hopping and beach-going. San Diego is known for perfect weather but even we are seeing some of the affects of globally increasing temperatures.
According to the National Oceanographic and Atmospheric Administration, July was the hottest recorded month in California since 1895, with a statewide average temperature of 79.7 degrees. In the month of August, San Diego temperatures are expected to reach the high 80’s. It’s not just the outdoor temperature that is rising, the ocean is heating up too. On Friday, August 8th, at 79.2 degrees, the ocean temperature in San Diego was the warmest it has been in 102 years! Although these temperatures seem high for locals, travelers from near and far are visiting San Diego to enjoy the summer sun.
Here are some tips for the San Diego traveler, trying to stay cool:
- Catch Some Waves at San Diego’s Best Beaches. Porto Vista Hotel may be located in city but we are only 12 short minutes away from the nearest beaches. A guaranteed way to stay cool is hopping in the ocean and going for a swim.
- Wear Lightweight, Loose Fitting Clothing. San Diego is paradise, so slip on a Hawaiian shirt and stay cool. If you didn’t pack any, San Diego has great places for shopping. You may or may not leave San Diego with a whole new summer wardrobe.
- Stay Hydrated. Make sure you are drinking plenty of water during hot weather. It is recommended that you consume between two to four glasses of water in excessive heat. So keep chugging that H20 and while you’re at it, take a trip up to the fourth floor at PVH and grab a signature cocktail from GlassDoor!
- Participate in Indoor Activities. San Diego is home to some of the best museums and attractions in the country. If you’re having trouble staying cool outdoors, check out some of the museums near by. Balboa Park has 17 museums with a diversity of collections from all over the world. Museum-hopping is a guaranteed way to stay cool and learn something new while you’re at it.
- Brewery Tours. For the 21 and up crowd, San Diego is the epicenter of the craft beer industry. No better way to stay cool than kicking back and having a cold one at one (or many) of San Diego’s 130+ Breweries. Check out Brewery Tours during your stay, to sample beers, go behind the scenes, and meet brewers.